The Business of Weight Obsession is a Billion Dollar U.S. Industry,
Outspending Homeland Security’s Entire Budget!
In Her New Book,
Sylvia Tara, PhD
Reveals That No Matter How Much You Spend on Diets and Exercise,
You will Keep Losing Money in Your Bank Account, and
Not Lose Fat Around Your Waist!
“Body fat is so much more than a passive calorie storage depot, as Sylvia Tara brilliantly shows. Read The Secret Life of Fat to make friends with this misunderstood and critically important organ.”
— David S. Ludwig, MD, Ph.D., professor, Harvard Medical School, and author of the
#1 New York Times bestseller Always Hungry? Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells, and Lose Weight Permanently
Fat has long been a subject of national and personal shame, a repugnant biological adversary that we obsessively seek to eradicate. In 2014 alone, the United States spent $60 billion fighting fat—more money, even, than the $44.7 billion budgeted for Homeland Security. But how much do we know about fat, really? In THE SECRET LIFE OF FAT: The Science Behind the Body’s Least Understood Organ and What It Means for You. [W. W. Norton & Company; December 27, 2016; $28.95 hardcover] biochemist and author Sylvia Tara, Ph.D. explores the history and science behind this multifaceted organ’s hidden talents to explain precisely why the fight against fat is so challenging.
In an interview, Sylvia Tara, Ph.D. can discuss:
- no matter how much you spend on diet and exercise, your body has a mind of its own;
- why fat is actually an endocrine organ rather than just blubber;
- why a healthy amount of fat is crucial to our well-being;
- how fat boosts our brain size and enhance our immune system;
- the intelligent solutions for combating fat’s peculiar tactics;
- the unexpected tricks fat uses in order to preserve itself and how to use this knowledge to fight it back;
- how fat can grow back immediately after liposuction;
- how globalization is increasing fat levels;
- why certain ethnicities gain weight easier than others;
- why night shift work leads to more fat; and
- how having extra fat may be good for your retirement plan, plus more.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Sylvia Tara holds a Ph.D. in biochemistry from the University of California at San Diego and an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. She was a consultant with McKinsey & Company and has worked at the world’s largest biotechnology companies. She lives in the Los Angeles area.
To book an interview with Sylvia Tara, please contact Mouth at (212) 260-7576